- New model Celestron Focus Motor (94155-A) for Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain, EdgeHD and Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) optical tubes
- Now compatible with the 9.25” EdgeHD
- Enables electronic focusing using a computer or Celestron computerised mount hand controller for remote/hands-free observing
- Self-powering: When connected to a Celestron computerised mount, the mount provides the power. When connected directly to a computer, USB provides the power
- Motor controls include multiple speed rates, automatic GoTo indexed focuser position, and focuser backlash compensation.
- Focuser Utility software for Windows provides a simple user interface. Also compatible with Celestron PWI
- Enables autofocusing with a camera and third-party software via ASCOM.
- Indexed focus position allows the motor to automatically return to a previous focus position and prevents the focus motor from reaching the end of telescope’s mechanical focus travel
Celestron’s Focus Motor is an electronic focuser for use with Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT), EdgeHD and Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) telescope optical tubes. With this focus motor unit installed, celestial objects can be brought into sharp, precise focus using your telescope’s hand controller or a computer. This unit replaces the existing manual focuser knob on your telescope.
A focus motor is great for visual observers who want to obtain exact focus (especially those with dexterity issues) without requiring to physically touch the telescope. Furthermore, this is a must-have accessory for astroimagers since they no longer need to be physically near the telescope to focus an image and also there is no need to touch the telescope (causing it to “shake” during focusing). Combined with computerised control of the mount and camera, the focus motor enables the astroimager to gather data remotely from a backyard observatory, or even a telescope located hundreds of miles away.
This electronic focuser will fit the following OTA’s produced after 2006 (not compatible with older models or 5” SCTs):
- 6-14″ SCT optical tubes
- 8-14″ EdgeHD optical tubes (incl. 925 Edge HD)
- 8” Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA)
- 36cm Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA)
- 11” RASA, but requires the Focuser Retrofit Kit for RASA 11.
Power/Control Options - There are three options for powering and controlling your Celestron Focus Motor:
- When using a Celestron computerised mount, you can power and control the focus motor through the mount using the supplied AUX cable. This allows control from the mount’s hand controller (NexStar+ or StarSense) or a computer.
- If you are not using a Celestron mount, you can power and control the focus motor from a computer USB port. A user supplied USB A-to-B cable is required.
- You may also opt to use an external 12V DC power source which plugs into the motor’s power jack.
Software - Celestron offers a free Focuser Utility program for computer control of the focuser. The Celestron PWI software can also control the focus motor.
The utility program can give the following functionality:
- multiple speed rates for focus motor control
- move focuser in/out
- automatic GoTo indexed focuser position
- focuser backlash compensation
The focuser can be used with popular third-party focuser control software, such as MaximDL, Sequence Generator Pro, AstroArt. In such cases an ASCOM driver is needed and can be downloaded from the Downloads Tab.