Herschel Wedges / Solar Wedges will be used to observe the sun with refractor telescopes in white light. ~95% of the sun light will be suppressed by the Herschel Wedge. The remaining 5% are dimmed by a fix installed ND3.0 strong gray filter. A polarizing filter can reduce the light to the desired level.
The difference between Herschel Wedges and normal front mounted filters is, that the filtering takes place just before the eyepiece or camera. This will provide a better contrast and sharpness of the solar image.
The advantages of the new LUNT Herschel Wedges:
- especially high-quality optical surfaces for very good contrast
- fully closed body with integrated heat trap
- no stray light escaping - so it is very safe
- the needed ND3.0 filter is fix installed
Only for use with refractor telescopes up to 150mm aperture:
Because the full energy and heat of the sun will be inside the telescope, we advise to use only refractors with a Herschel Wedge. The refractors must not have corrector lenses at the back. Optical elements like corrector lenses or secondary mirrors of reflector telescopes become very hot by the concentrated solar energy and could be damaged.
Delivered in the Box:
- 2" Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
- installed ND 3.0 Gray Filter
- Aluminum Case
Tuning the brightness:
Because the Herschel Wedge produce polarized light, you can use a normal polarizing filter at the eyepiece or camera-adapter. By turning the polarizing filter the brightness will be reduced.
Note: Polarising filter is not included.