Celestron’s signature orange-tube telescope combines advanced features and excellent optics in one easy-to-use system, the NexStar 4SE. It’s the perfect choice for your first serious telescope, offering striking views at an economical price.
Our Founder’s Vision, Reimagined for the 21st Century
In the 1970s, Celestron’s Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes brought the hobby of astronomy to the masses and established Celestron as the world’s premier telescope maker. Our founder, Tom Johnson, invented Celestron’s proprietary method of producing Schmidt corrector plates for superior views and maximum portability. Johnson believed in creating high-quality optical instruments at an affordable price, and inspired a generation of amateur astronomers.
Four decades later, we’ve improved upon this design by adding cutting-edge features, while staying true to our founder’s intent.
View the Universe’s Most Impressive Celestial Objects
The 4SE’s four-inch primary mirror packs enough light-gathering ability to observe the best that the solar system has to offer: Saturn’s rings, the cloud bands on Jupiter, and geographic features on the surface of the Moon. When it comes to deep sky objects, take your 4SE to a dark-sky site and you’ll see hundreds of pinpoint stars in the Hercules Globular Cluster, the spiral arms of the Whirlpool Galaxy, and more.
Revolutionary Single Fork Arm Mount
We know the best telescope is the one you will use most often. That’s why Celestron’s engineers created NexStar SE’s unique, patented single fork arm mount. It’s perfectly portable and makes setup quick and easy. What’s more, the NexStar SE breaks down into several lightweight and compact pieces, making it easy to transport, even in small vehicles. You’ll have no problem getting the NexStar SE to your favorite observing site, or setting it up quickly in your backyard.
Of course, it’s what’s inside the mount that really counts. Sturdy construction from high-quality components give NexStar SE the pointing and tracking accuracy needed to observe and follow your favorite targets with push-button ease. Use the included NexStar+ hand control to locate over 40,000 celestial objects, or take a Sky Tour and let your telescope show you the best objects currently visible.
Aligning your telescope is simple and painless, too, thanks to SkyAlign. This process makes alignment as easy as 1-2-3: just center three bright objects in your eyepiece and press ALIGN. For even easier alignment, attach our StarSense AutoAlign and your NexStar SE aligns itself!
Advanced Features Let the NexStar SE Grow with You
The NexStar SE is compatible with all the high-tech accessories advanced users love. Provide GPS coordinates to your telescope with SkySync, or add automatic alignment functionality with StarSense AutoAlign.
If you want to explore the world of astroimaging, the 4SE is a perfect choice. Its built-in wedge allows you to track long exposures. You can even remove the telescope’s secondary mirror and replace it with a DSLR or astronomical CCD camera for wide field images captured at f/2 using a Fastar/HyperStar lens assembly. Or, if you’re interested in imaging the Moon and planets, pair your NexStar 4SE with one of our Skyris cameras. From your first observing session and for years to come, the NexStar SE is your trusted companion.
- 4" Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope
- SE combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with the latest state-of-the-art features
- StarBright XLT high transmission coatings come standard
- StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects
- Internal flip mirror for convenient viewing straight through (with optional diagonal) or at 90 degrees
- Quick release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for no-tool setup
- Sturdy computerized altazimuth mount
- Internal battery compartment to prevent cord wrap during use
- Ultra sturdy steel tripod features built-in wedge which allows 4 SE to be used for astrophotography
- Includes CD-ROM "The Sky" Astronomy Software which provides education about the sky and printable sky maps
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- Nearly 40,000 object database with 200 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making for a fast and easy alignment process
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Includes a camera control feature and shutter release cable that allows you to remotely take a series of exposures using your digital SLR camera
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- NexRemote telescope control software and RS-232 cable included for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS-compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory (93969)
- Optical Design: Maksutov-Cassegrain
- Aperture (mm): 102 mm (4.02 in)
- Focal Length: 1325 mm (52 in)
- Focal Ratio: 13
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm): 25 mm (0.98 in)
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 53 x
- Finderscope: StarPointer
- Star Diagonal: Internal Flip mirror for straight thru or 90 viewing angle
- Mount Type: Single Fork Arm Altazimuth
- Tripod: Steel with built-in wedge
- Power Requirements: 8-AA batteries (not included)
- Highest Useful Magnification: 241 x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 15 x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 12.5
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 1.37 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes): 1.14 arc seconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 212 x
- Apparent Field of View: 1 °
- Linear Field of View (@1000 yds): 53 ft (16 m)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction: 1.38 in (35 mm)
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter: 34%
- Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area: 12%
- Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
- Optical Tube Length: 13.5 in (343 mm)
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 11 lbs (4.99 kg)
- Tripod Weight: 10 lbs (4.54 kg) lbs (4.54 kg)
- Slew Speeds: Nine slew speeds
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes: Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South
- Alignment Procedures: SkyAlign, Auto 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, SolarSystem Align
- Communication Ports: RS-232 communication port on hand control, Aux port, Camera Control port
- Computer Hand Control: Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
- Database: 38,181 accessible objects